Helmets

No one yet has mentioned the protection helmets offer against those tree
branches that seem to come out of no where when you're trotting at a good
clip down the trail! (Unless, of course, you are a desert rider...)
Doesn't have much to do with one's level of "horsemanship." (Though I am
sure somebody is going to respond that it does. Ugh!) I agree with the
other RC folks who have brought up the fact that yes, you may have the
right to choose whether you wear a helmet, but we, unfortunately, as the
rest of society, have no right to choose whether or not to pay your
hospitalization or other ongoing care bills.  In one way or another, we
get stuck with that no matter what.  (Let alone the issue of your family
having to deal with however you are, for the rest of your life.) That's
why I was for the California motorcycle helmet law.

To me, it's such a simple, obvious precaution to take, that I feel those
who ride without helmets are actually being quite selfish, especially
once they know the dangers of the sport. (I know that statement is going
to generate some posts!) BTW, my Significant Other used to drive race
cars, and believe me, he always wore a helmet doing that. (Seems that
it's not even an issue with those "macho" race guys--you don't have to
convince them of the need for helmets!) When he started riding, he went
out and bought a Troxel helmet for himself, without my even asking him to
do so! And he DOES wear it. Just had to point out, some guys do have
common sense.  Ha!

Mary Abbott  (& the 3/4 Arab "always in heat" cranky mare, Mariah, who
does look for low lying tree branches to suddenly swish under, except
when on Regumate!)
Grass Valley, CA