helmets

----------
From: Paul Zeck <pzeck@worldnet.att.net>
To: ridecamp-d@endurance.net
Subject: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #953
Date: Saturday, November 21, 1998 9:56 AM

Can you stand one more story about helmets being worthwhile??
  Here goes...I was at 99+ miles on the Old Dominion this year with about
20 minutes to finish.    About 1/2 mile from the finish line, the trail
comes off the mountain onto a paved road that we started the day on.  As we
came out on the road,  Obsyssion's back feet slipped under him, he reared
straight up and over on me on the paved road.  This happened so quickly I
didn't even have time to blink much less roll free.  My head was slammed
into the pavement and I was pinned under him temporarily until he scrambled
to his feet and took off at a dead run to camp leaving me there a little
dazed to say the least.  Funny what you think about in those split
seconds....I kept thinking what a lousy way to not finish the ride.   But,
I was not giving up just yet.    I picked myself up, realized I was all in
one piece minus some skin on my arm and started running for camp to find my
horse.  I did not know until later that my head had hit the pavement.  I
remembered hearing something crack but didn't know what it was.  The next
time I got my helmet out I found the 2 cracks in it and realized how lucky
I was.
BTW,   I ran to camp, finally located Obsyssion on a hill above our
trailer, climbed back on, headed back to pick up the trail and we finished
with 8 minutes to spare!     I truly believe I am alive and well due to
that helmet, plus I have my OD buckle!!!!!!!!!
Gail Fiebelman   ( with a permanent OD war wound)