Helmets

I was reading my new Western Horseman last night and in the "Letters from
Riders" section there was a letter informing readers that Richard Jackson,
owner and operator of Great Divide Outfitters, East Glacier, Montana, whom
Western Horseman had featured in their February, 1993, issue, died August
24, 1998, taking the last pack trip of the summer into the Lewis and Clark
National Forest.  His death was described as having occurred when "he was
only 300 feet from camp when a new horse he was riding bucked him off
head-first into a rock.  He was air-lifted, but died en route to the
hospital in Browning."
This speaks for itself, I know, but it reminds me since we leave in the Old
West (where the men are men and the sheep are scared :-))  that riding
without head protection is a terrible risk that too many still take.  Mr.
Jackson should still be alive, in my opinion.  I had an outfitter here tell
me one time that they weren't concerned with helmets for their guides or
dude riders because they always buy horses that are "bombproof".....
Betty in Craig, Colorado