Brazilian Adven Day VII

Bom dia Ya'll,
Well the adventure continues.  As mentioned before, there are to be two
races held at the Universidad this weekend.  Sat. is a 75 KM (approx. 45
miles) & Sunday a 35, (approx. 25 mi.).  Our group had dinner with the ride
manager last night & I was asking ride procedure particulars & found out,
much to my surprise, (cause I thought they ran there rides very much like
the US), that this group was disgusted with people riding too fast and had
come up with some new criteria.  Now, take a seat if you're standing kids.
Pulse 56 in 15 minutes at each vet check and the finish, or you are pulled.
If you bust your check, say at 5 minutes into the 15, your penalty is the
full 15 minutes.  Had a great discussion with the RM on the pros & cons of
this method, which I won't go into, cause I can hear all your little heads
spinning with the same arguments, but I think it will be an interesting
race, (but how could it be --- of one has to recover to 56 in 15 minutes at
the finish.)   It should accomplish their desired slowing of riders
though.... shouldn't it???

Oh well, I can remember when the pulse first went below 72, then later
recovery to 64  in 30 min.
We always managed to make it a race somehow.... and my favorite saying once
again applies.... as long as it is an equal playing field... the competition
will be a competition.

Now for a description of the preparation here.  For those of you who have
been to the Race of Champions or an International Competition, imagine all
the banners, signs, survey ribbon perimeters, stages, tents, etc.  This ride
is on par with a plain ole, vanilla, regional back yard ride, yet these
Brazilians have their own style.  It looks like the Rolex Jumping event at
the Kentucky Horse Park.  Sylvia took me to set up our crew area today & I'm
not sure I put that much effort into building my house.  :-)   We staked it
out, with metal stakes, nylon ropes & parking cones...., set up a tent,
moved her wooden 4/2' tack box in, chairs, 6 30 gallon barrels,(to hold the
water)  2  20 gallon tubs for the horses to drink out of, & misc. buckets &
other stuff.
Now mind you, this is just for Sylvia & I in the 75 KM on Sat.  & 4 horses
competing on Sunday.

Management has 20 100 gallon water tanks set up a short way from us to
service all of the horses.  They have commercial, (meaning professionally
painted and color coordinated) signs for everything, including  the "baby
ride".  You are going to love this.... a parent leads a toddler around on a
1 Km ride.  The RM joked.... then the pulse of the father is taken for the
winner.

I guess they have been seriously influenced by the eventing and jumping
world with all the foo foo.  I must admit, it does look nice, and even a
foreigner knows where I'm going, (at least most of the time.)

Sharon & I got to survey the trail today as well.  That was a neat
experience as I assumed it would be pretty tame since we were going in a
small truck.  NOTTTTT!!!      It was put in by motorcycle & there was at
least one spot where we flat chickened out going down & two spots where I
walked ahead on foot to make sure it was safe.  Have I mentioned how pretty
the country is!?!?   BTW, they have professional Trail Putter Inners too.
Honestly, a guy named Tattoooo, (no kin to the short one, this guy is a 6'4"
blond Dutchman), is paid by different rides to go out & find the trail,
(sometimes in partnership with a local rider), check the mileage, mark the
trail, & supervise it, (making sure ribbons stay up) & fixing problems on
ride day.  As a past RM I would have hated somebody putting in trail for me,
(I loved that part), but maintaining it at the end sounds like a great idea.

There trail marking is a lot like ours with just a few minor differences.
Good & bad....
Good:  They use a lot of colored signs with big black arrows.  Long, big
colored ribbons & spray painted circles and arrows in strategic spots.
Bad:  Ribbons are alternated on both sides instead of being primarily on one
side, & sharp turns could be either marked a bit better or other way limed
across.

Not really a bunch of difference, so hopefully I won't get too lost
tomorrow.  The stallion I'm riding seems to be in pretty good shape, but he
hasn't had anything but little short rides this week on our training outs, &
did not get ridden at all today or yesterday.   hmmm....  As I said....
should be a very interesting day, hope there's no mares near during that 56
requirement!!!!

I was really looking forward to riding with Sylvia on Saturday, however, as
soon as we returned from the trail preview, Sylvia met us with the bad news
that her horse was lame... this was particular bad as this was her #3 back
up horse, (her son's in fact), both #1 & #2 were lame when I got to Brazil.
Evidently the horse had been turned out in a small paddock for exercise &
probably got to running & bucking, (as they will) hit some concrete or loose
dirt, fell & popped himself pretty good.  He was grade 3/4 lame in the back
left.  Whole left hindquarter was swollen.  They had already treated with
banamine when we arrived, so we used the magboys awhile, & 45 min. later he
had progress to a grade 2 at a walk... didn't dare trot him.  Told Sylvia
that's what we call Snake Bit in Texas.... don't know if it translated or
not.  So now, I actually get another crew person, but I really feel bad,
'cause nothing is worse than having a ride in your own backyard practically
& having nothing to ride.  She does have a gorgeous young stallion she will
be riding on Sunday.

Will explain more about the horse's prerequisites to run the longer
distances in a day or two.  Not real sure I understand it yet.    Also met
the owner of one of the ranches we are crossing.  He is building a 33 room
hotel overlooking this gorgeous valley.  My brain is ticking.... anybody
interested in taking a riding vacation down here next summer????

Last highlight of the day was visiting a local bakery.... you can't believe
this place... had a little snack bar with Cappuccino choc d'oro that made
you roll on the floor & rub your tummy.  Bought all sorts of breads & bread
rolls with meat & cheese and that was dinner.   mmmmm
Will have race news tomorrow... wish me luck!!
Chow!!!
Darolyn