Alligator sponging

Laugh if you like, but I guarantee there is not a single time that we go into
a lake to water and sponge in Central Fla that we do not keep a wary eye out
for "Gators" (and not the football playing type either!!). Just the other day
a friend and I were conditioning on a remote trail, (we call it the swamp
trail), and while crossing a dyke, a gator "cracked" into the water within
30ft of us. It's about the first time my Moyle horse ever did an Arab 180!
(although it was really only about a 120!). Our rangers at the state park near
our home tell us there are several 12 footers in the lakes there.
 In all honesty though, it is highly unlikely a gator will attack our horses,
unless we were to ride shetland ponies!
Grin and bear it,
Becky & Moyle Miles