Mares vs. Geldings

I'm new to Ridecamp and have really been enjoying all of the discussion.
Helmets, Dubai, Sears, etc.  I'm curious to know what the general consensus of
opinion is regarding riding a mare versus a gelding.  I have always ridden
geldings (since getting kicked by a cranky mare when I was 9 for no apparent
reason).  Geldings are definitely predominant in both endurance and
competitive trail (Potato's great mare not withstanding).  So what is the
opinion out there?  Are mares too hormonal?

On another matter, and not to step on anyone's toes, but a lot of people have
mentioned being tossed from their horses while "just walking down the trail".
Granted, horses do stumble and trip; if you are maintaining a light contact
with the horse's mouth you have a chance to "help" him stay upright.  I've
seen a lot of endurance riders riding with their reins waving in the
wind...could that be the problem?  Hope I haven't insulted anyone -- just
asking!!

Also, sorry, but I don't know how to delete the HTL message that is surely
following this one.  Can anyone give a short lesson?  When I press the delete
button the whole message is deleted.

Sylvia Beverly & Harca (gelded and proud of it -- him not me)