protective boots

Personally, I don't bother with boots, but I've seen horses get some
pretty nasty gashes on rocks, in brush, etc. If a trail is known to be
kinds rough I think the rider should be able to choose leg protection
without being penalized, the same as easy boots are allowed to protect
the hooves. It doesn't always have to do with fatigue.  As a ride
manager I really don't think it's my place to tell people how they must
manage their horse during a ride. (Beyond making sure they are AWARE of
basics such as electrolytes, etc. for beginners). Of course, I've never
been a big BC fan anyway. Although it is interesting to get a particular
vet's opinion about your horse on that particular ride, it is just an
opinion.
Nancy Mitts