[Fwd: Re: Evolution of a helmet-wearer]

---- Begin included message ----
Dear Jude,

YES you are to an "endurance" rider!!  Glad to have you.  Since my 3 bad
discs in my back, I would be GLAD to ride LD.(THIS from someone who rode
l00 milers for over 30 years!)

Anyway, so glad to hear you're wearing your helmet.  I started out just
as you did, and one day while WALKING home ALONE from a conditioning
ride(to cool my horse out) she slipped  on a piece of gravel, fell to
her knees, rolled over ( with me on her) and into a ditch.  It was all
slow motion!  It was just a fluke  accident, but  needless to say, I
pulled my leg out and jumped off before she knew what happened and tried
to get up.  Luckily, we were near a house and I was able to call my son
to come and get us with the trailer.  She had bloody knees, and I had
bloody scrapes all over, but nothing serious. Thanks to the helmet,only
a bruise.It REALLY made a believer out of me!

Later, I read an article that said you should wear them for anything you
do around horses (colts, handling breeding stallions, etc) so I try to
now.  Glad you do too.(I don"t really LIKE it, but feel it is
necessaary!)  Happy riding!
Maureen

---- End included message ----