RE: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #936

Subject: Full-cheek snaffles

Angela C. McGhee wrote:

> One bit of caution, I've seen them get caught in someone's long hair when
* they were rubbing their heads.
*
From: Lucy Chaplin Trumbull <elsie@calweb.com>

Then there was that story someone told about their horse
turning his head around to scratch an itch and getting the
prongs on his full-cheek snaffle caught on her boot laces,
so that when he turned his head back to the front, he dragged
her off the horse.  :)

...Then there was the day I was out all by myself and got off to open a gate.  Horse sneaked up and tried to get in a rub on my back.  I yell quit, he backs up, and I realize the bit is caught in the loose weave of my sweater.  Since he was trying for a rub, he caught both ends, one going up and the other going down.  Horse is stuck to me, BEHIND me and the more I try to untangle the bit by reaching behind my back and fumbling, the worse it gets.  I finally decide that I want to live through this and since no one else is around, I verrry carefully raise my arms overhead and shimmy out of the sweater.  Clad in my bra, I quickly untangle bit from sweater - a much easier task when I can see what I'm doing  - and shimmy back into the sweater.  To this day, I don't have a clue if anyone enjoyed the show, but I couldn't see hiking all the way home with my horse stuck to my sweater.

Still like the bit to start young horses.....

Alison Farrin
The Hirsch Company
Innovative Pension Design