Hi -- newbie questions! :)

Hi -- I'm a beginning rider who's worshipped horses all her life, been
taking lessons for a few months (dream come true! <grin>), and I'm very
interested in endurance.

(I've been backpacking/hiking all my life -- I'm familiar with pain, and
not too worried about being able to do it. Just need to learn to sit the
horse a little better, and I figure that's just going to take time and
an instructor who yells "head up heels down and wrong diagonal!" a
zillion more times at me.)

Looking for some specific information:

1.) Can anyone reccomend a boarding stable either in N. Phoenix (Moon
Valley area) w/ easy access to trails, or in North Scottsdale, where I
work? I see horses in the N. Mountain preserves all the time -- where
are the stables?! Do they board? Surely all those horses aren't being
trailered in; I've yet to see a trailer. (The mountain preserves would
be ideal -- I've hiked them for years; they strike me as a good training
ground.) Preferably under $150-200 a month, and (ideal) with pasture
board.

Don't want to get a horse before I know I have a place where I could
train and not have to drive an hour to get there! (I eventually want to
get a trailer in Apache Junction, and ride in the superstitions -- I'm
also an amateur photographer and also want a horse to get me into the
backcountry -- but that's down the road.)

2.) I've been riding an older (19 yo) grade appy-cross mare -- she's
sound and straight and VERY agile and likes to go, preferably fast.

Dunno what she was crossed with, but she's built lighter than most
appies I've seen. She's for sale if I want her -- would ya'll concider
an older mare like this for a beginner at endurance? I've heard yes, and
I've heard No! (Talking 25-50 milers here.) I suspect she would enjoy
endurance -- if she remains sound. The only catch is that if she's not
up for endurance, I don't know what I'd do with her -- All she's ever
been used for is trail riding, and finding a good home for an older
grade mare who doesn't know much and who has the occasional bratty
attitude problem (wouldn't trust her with a timid rider or a small kid
-- she'll behave, but only if you MAKE her) sounds ... interesting.

If I don't take her, I'll probably adopt a stbd from the track (and have
her professionally trained for riding -- this beginner has no illusions
as to her ability to train anything yet!)

4.) Finally, are there any aerc races in Arizona besides the one I've
heard mention of up on the Arizona strip? (I assume there are ...) Any
others that would be open to an amateur on a grade horse?

*sigh* I'm a rank beginner with lots of question. :)

It'll be at least several months before I buy anything, too. But figure
I should start asking questions no. (*sigh*
Gotta get a truck, find boarding, get horse and trailer, get tack ... so
many things to do. And do it on my budget.)

~Leva