Re: State Dept UAE Site

Very interesting site.  Here's an excerpt from the travel warning issued
yesterday.  There is a link near to obtain further travel info near the
bottom...............

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman

----

WORLDWIDE CAUTION
November 12, 1998
In light of current tensions with Iraq over United Nations weapons
inspections, the August 7 bombings of the U.S. Embassies in Nairobi, Kenya
and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, the August 20 U.S. air strikes in Afghanistan
and Sudan, and the apprehension of persons believed to have been involved in
the U.S. Embassy bombings, the potential for retaliatory acts against
Americans and American interests overseas continues to exist. In addition,
terrorists, including Usama bin Ladin (who has been indicted for the embassy
bombings and for threatening to kill American nationals outside the United
States), continue their threats against the United States and have not
distinguished between military and civilian targets. We take these threats
seriously and the U.S. has increased security at United States Government
facilities worldwide. A number of our posts have temporarily suspended or
limited services to the public, and may have to do so in the future.

The Department of State reminds Americans to maintain a high level of
vigilance and to take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness
to lessen their vulnerability. Americans should maintain a low profile, vary
routes and times for all required travel, and treat mail from unfamiliar
sources with suspicion.

American citizens traveling or residing abroad should contact the nearest
U.S. Embassy or Consulate by telephone or fax for up-to-date information on
security conditions. Current information on post operations is also
available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. In addition, U.S.
citizens planning to travel abroad should consult the Department of State's
Public Announcements, Travel Warnings, Consular Information Sheets, and
regional travel brochures.

This replaces the September 24 "Worldwide Caution" Public Announcement to
reflect the potential for retaliation in light of the tensions with Iraq
over UN weapons inspections, and expires February 12, 1999.

Susan Swope
SE Region
Kentucky

----
Department of State travel information and publications are available at
Internet address: http://travel.state.gov. U.S. travelers may hear recorded
information by calling the Department of State in Washington, D.C. at
202-647-5225 from their touchtone telephone, or receive information by
automated telefax by dialing 202-647-3000 from their fax machine.
Consular Information Sheets and Travel Warnings