Re: Old Horse

Peggy, I think you're doing just fine but unless you're feeding quite a
bit of the Equine Senior and/or beet pulp, he might be a little short on
dry matter (bulk).  If the combined weight of the dry beet pulp and
Equine Senior is 12-14 pounds for a 900-1000 lb horse, you're probably
okay.  I've seen Sarah Ralston posting the last day or two, she would
know better than I.  If he can't chew long-stem hay, what about some
chopped hay?  You might also want to add some corn oil to the beet pulp
to increase the caloric density of his ration.

This isn't vital if it pinches the budget, but I happen to like adding
probiotics, I think older horses especially gain and hold their weight
better.  I like Fastrack, but that's just a personal preference.

Good luck with your senior citizen.

Susan G