winter trailering

Hi y'all.  I know we had the conversation of what to do with horses in the winter. Now, I would like to know if you guys do anything special to your trailer/truck/when you drive in the winter....those of us in the part of the country that HAS winter (sorry Floridians!).  IE, I'm probably going to go to Idaho for Thanksgiving and will be taking with me my four legged guy.  Upon the return, am MAYBE going to be taking home another four legged kid from Oregon.  Any advice on driving in potentially cold situations (black ice,snow)... No fourwheeling, sticking to the highways, but nonetheless, any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
susie