Re: Easyboots - shock abosrbtion

Duncan:

Let's take that one thing at a time.

<<<Assuming the foot does indeed slide (and my understanding is that while
hinds tend to slide, fores do not), >>>

That is no assumption that is field observation over many thousands of miles
and many horses. It is most recognizable at the extended trot (common to
most endurance horses) it does not manifest itself as much in the show ring
where vertical action is more pronounced but can be seen by the careful
observer.

<<<that can dissipate only the forward portion of the ground impact
(assuming level ground). >>>

I cannot disprove this, but the "total shock" to the hoof and limb is
considerably lessened since the forward motion component of the load is
considerably greater than the vertical. However, once the hoof has landed
the vertical component increases in order to get the rebound action from the
fetlock carrying the horse forward.

<<<Anyone want to take a stab at the relative levels of those two components
at the various gaits.>>>

My educated guess is that at the walk the vertical component is equal to or
greater than the horizontal. At any other gait for an endurance horse it
will be greater in the horizontal plane.

Realize these are my opinions only. I could be proven wrong.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID