Why Prop 6?

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 05:44:42 -0800 lkinsky@silcom.com (Lynn Kinsky)
writes:
>The ONLY thing Prop 6 affects is humans eating horsemeat -- thieves in
>California can still steal horses and as long as they sell them to the
>*canners*, that's cool -- Prop 6 doesn't affect them.
    I don't live in CA but I''ve been following Prop 6 with interest anyway.
As I understand it, the reason Prop 6 was proposed has to do with the way
horses are killed.  A horse killed for  *animal* consumption is supposedly
afforded more humane treatment through the use of a drug induced death.
However, a horse meant for *human*  consumption cannot be drugged and
therefore faces a violent death by either a blunt force to its head or being
strung up by it's back hooves before its neck is sliced open by a rotating
saw. I believe it is the violent "hooves-up, neck-slicing" that Prop 6 intends
to address.
Beverly Schlegel
Blue Ridge Mts. of SWVA