Re: Horse stealing a felony in Prop. 6?

Lynn, you are absolutely right on target.  The  fuzzy-feelies won out on
this one, because the real issues are still ignored.  I  recall that in
his first term Wilson, soon to be our ex-Governor, vetoed a bill that
mandated more humane treatment  of horses while being trucked to
wherever.   Maybe that can be re-addressed now.
    BTW, in WW Two, when the Japanese invaded the Phillipines, and
MacArthur left but some US Army remained (including a cavalry detail),
this small group was starving,  General Wainwright gave the order to
slaughter the horses to feed his men.  He directed that his own personal
mount was to be the first one put down.  History buffs can correct me on
this one, but that's the story I read somewhere.
    To look on the bright side of Prop. 6, however, it would seem that
horses occupy a warm spot in the hearts of people, and that's OK.
Cheers, (;-), Connie B  (Marin)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 05:44:42 -0800 lkinsky@silcom.com (Lynn Kinsky)
writes:

>The only thing that becomes a felony under Prop. 6 is that it is now
>"unlawful for any person to possess, to import into or export from the
>state, or to sell, buy, give away, hold, or accept any horse with the
>intent of killing, or having another kill, that horse, if that person
>knows
>or should have known that any part of that horse will be used for
>human
>consumption".  Also ". . . No restaurant, cafe, or other eating place
>may
>offer horsemeat for human consumption."
>
>The ONLY thing Prop 6 affects is humans eating horsemeat -- thieves in
>California can still steal horses and as long as they sell them to the
>*canners*, that's cool -- Prop 6 doesn't affect them.  But if one of
>my
>horses breaks a leg and I choose to quickly dispatch it and put it in
>the
>freezer rather than add the carcass to our almost full landfill I
>would go
>to state prison for a minimum of 16 months (up to 36) -- unless I
>convinced
>people that the meat would only get fed to my dogs!
>
>I could *sell* a few ounces of marijuana for human consumption and
>incur
>less penalties than if I *gave away* a horse for human consumption!!
>
>Meanwhile all the abuses that can occur in transporting and butchering
>horses can continue unchecked -- as long as the horses are going to be
>made
>into pet food!
>
>Prop 6 is a real classic . . .
>

>-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
>   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky
>   Sage Hill NATRC Ride:  http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/SageHill

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]