Re: Horse Height & Bone

Frank,
I don't know why you saw Susan's response as confrontational. She was
just trying to clarify her findings because she had been misquoted.  And
she was not trying to throw statistics at YOU, the original post
specifically asked for statistical significance, something that is
always expected in scientific research.

Of course she knows the potential importance of all the other factors,
but as she clearly explained, it is impossible to cover everything in a
hectic situation as is found at Tevis. Lack of funding is also an
unfortunate limitation. Controlling for all variables is usually only
possible in laboratory settings.  As far as the anecdotal evidence (ie
"I knew a horse that had meaty tendons..."; "in my experience..."),
scientists can only use that sort of information to generate hypotheses
and are unable to use it as evidence. For example, you might hypothesize
that horses with meaty tendons cannot do 50 mile endurance races as
successfully as horses with dry (defined) tendons.  After you gather two
large groups of horses that are otherwise structurally and metabolically
as similar as possible (except one group has meaty tendons, the other
doesn't), then you are on your way to designing an experiment that just
might test your hypothesis.  This is oversimplified, but hopefully will
give you some idea what scientists are up against before they can say
that something is "proven" - before that, nothing is proven and the
evidence is anecdotal only.  Aside from Susan's work (and perhaps other
scientists that haven't posted recently), almost everything on ridecamp
is anecdotal or opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it is the experience that you and others bring to
ridecamp that makes this forum such a great resource for new and
long-time endurance riders alike. Experience is a wonderful teacher
after all.

The bottom line is, there are too few scientists who are studying
(endurance) horses, and we should be grateful that one of them is
willing to share her findings with a non-scientific audience as is found
on ridecamp. I, for one, hope she continues to do so despite the
discouraging remarks of a few.
Mia