Re: Requirements for a GOOD CREW

Dear Angie and Potato, (no "e?")
     What's all this?  Hey, I thought CREW simply stood for Can't Remember
Everything Woman.  Let's not make this thing more complicated than it need be.

Trish and pretty David, TNG

<<
 I don't know Potato.  I'm not sure I want to come in off the trail to see
 Bill standing there, with a ribbon in his hair acting a little gay.

 >>1.  Have dinner ready:

 To heck with dinner.  Have the blanket ready.

 >>2.  Prepare yourself:  Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be
 >>refreshed when he arrives.  Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your
 hair

 How's about, "try not to be asleep in a lawn chair with your mouth
 hanging open."

 >>3.  Clear away clutter.

 O.K.  If you'll pick up all the food wrappers, paper cups that
 electrolytes were mixed in, and duct tape at some point it's nice.

 >>4.  Prepare the children.

 FIND the children.  It's nice to come in and have a chance to see that
 they're still alive.  I sure don't want to leave after my hold time
 knowing that they're still missing.

 >>5.  Minimize the noise:   At the time of his arrival, eliminate all
 >>noise of washer, dryer, or vacuum.

 Quieten everyone down while the P&R person takes the pulse.

 >>6.  Some DONT'S:  Don't greet him with problems or complaints.

 Really!  For goodness sakes, don't tell us You're tired.

 >Don't complain he's late for dinner.  Count this as minor compared with
 what he might have gone through that day.

 Don't point out that the ride meal was great.

 >> 7.  Make him comfortable.  Have him lean back in a comfortable chair
 >>or suggest he lay down in the bedroom.

 How's about offering to take the horse and let him graze while I sit
 back.

   Have a cool or warm drink
 >ready
 >>for him.  Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes.

 Offer to check the horse's shoes.

  >> Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice.  Allow him to
 relax and  unwind.

 No, SPEAK UP!  Because I ask you a question, then I turn around and start
 doing something because I forgot I asked a question, then I have to ask
 again...YELL the answer at me.

 >>8.  Listen to him:  You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the
 >>moment of his arrival is not the time.  Let him talk first.

 Pretend that when I give orders, you're not offended.  Just do it.  I
 don't have time to beat around the bush.

 >> 9.  Make the evening his: Never complain if he does not take you out
 to dinner or to other places of entertainment; instead try to understand

 Pretend you want to be here.

 >>his world of strain and pressure and his need to be home and relax.

 Don't mention YOUR need to be home and relax right now.

 >>10. The Goal:  try to make your home a place of peace and order
 >>where  your husband can relax.

 Remember, the goal is to get your rider off the trail as soon as possible
 so that you can get home and relax.

 Angie >>