Re: winter conditions

Beth Glace wrote:

> I live in eastern NY, where we have wide seasonal variations in
> temperature.  In the dead of winter day temps are around 30 [0 C] and
> nights are generally in single digits [-18 to -13 C].  I do not
> blanket my horse [inside or out].  She is outside from 6 am till 6 pm
> in the winter months, with a large run in shelter and in a group of 6
> other horses to huddle with if needed.

This is one point that is getting missed by all the posts about winter.
Horsestogether and sharing body heat. I have noticed that horses that are
stabled
by themselves, like a stallion, have a harder time keeping warm when the
weather gets brutal. I have blanketed my stallion before. I also think
that
humidity plays a big part. The higher the humidity the harder it is to
stay
warm.

I have always though that North Dakota had harsh winters but after
reading
some of these posts I have decided that ND is a pretty good place to
live.
I was surprised to see that Montana and Wyoming got down to -50 degrees,
It never gets that cold here.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have been finding these posts
interesting
and eye opening. It is neat to hear about everyone's weather patterns and
what
they have to deal with.
Lynette