Re: WEC

In a message dated 98-11-02 13:15:53 EST, ccrespo@nigma.com writes:

<<  This process discounts a number of other qualities
 that would surface under a competitive situation. I personally would
 never want to be in the position of making this selection, the
 selection should be sorted out by the trail. >>

Actually, the selectors use that information A LOT, but they also continue to
observe the horse all year to make sure he is on track with what his record
says he is.  No matter how competitive the horse, if he is on the downhill
that particular year, he shouldn't go.  If the head-to-head competition is the
only thing that counts, the injuries sustained in achieving that spot on the
squad don't get sorted out, and we send lame and/or metabolically messed up
horses to the WEC.  We've done that in the past, it didn't work, and that is
why the current system has evolved.

Heidi