Winter management

Speaking from a western Canadian perspective (Alberta & BC), we leave our
horses outside all the time in the winter too. We have 3-sided covered
shelters for them that they will use when the weather is extreme (high
winds and snowing). If they temps dip below -30C (for scale, -40 is the
same for celcius and fahrenheit), we might put them in the barn. Otherwise,
they are much happier and healthier outside. If they are dry, and have a
wind-break available, they have more than enough insulation to stay warm.
We also give extra hay when the temperature dips.

Brenda (All still on pasture so far...)