Re: Winter Management

In a message dated 98-11-01 11:08:39 EST, molea@ucla.edu writes:

<< I'm moving to Northern California (from So. Cal.) this winter.  I'd like to
 hear from people who live in snowy winter climates:  can you use pipe corral
 or is there a danger the horses will lick the pipe and get stuck to the
 frozen pipe?  Is there a similar problem if you want to cover corners of
 wood in the barn with metal to keep the horses from snacking on the frame of
 the barn?  What is the safest way to heat water for the water trough?

Have never had a problem with horses and metal, even in severe sub-zero.  We
use electric tank heaters, which should be plenty in northern Cal, but in
EXTREME cold snaps, we will carry really warm water out a couple of times a
day if we can.  (When it is 20 below, they will suck up the warm water pretty
quickly, so it doesn't stand there and get cold.)  Water is the real key to
preventing impactions, etc., in cold weather--just having some warm water will
do wonders for their water intake.

Heidi