Winter Management

I'm moving to Northern California (from So. Cal.) this winter.  I'd like to
hear from people who live in snowy winter climates:  can you use pipe corral
or is there a danger the horses will lick the pipe and get stuck to the
frozen pipe?  Is there a similar problem if you want to cover corners of
wood in the barn with metal to keep the horses from snacking on the frame of
the barn?  What is the safest way to heat water for the water trough?