Re: Wintering horses in the north woods

Our horses are out 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  They must and do have
shelter from the wind when it blows really hard.  Ideally a loafing shed (3
sides and a roof with the back to the N or NW) provides the shelter.  Many
horses up here do fine with a wall, trees or hill for shelter from the wind.
The only time they really seek the roof is during the infrequent rains when
the temperature 45 to 30 F degrees.  Of course, one must let their coats
grow long and feed lots of hay during the cold.  When it gets well below 0
F, we increase their hay not the grain.  Our local animal humane laws state
that horses must have shelter.  Some have tried to claim that this means a
stable, but the courts have allowed natural shelter from the wind.  It is
really amazing to go out on a snowy morning below zero and find that the
horses are covered with snow, and standing on the hill looking around when
they could be sheltered if they felt they needed the shelter.

By the way, Len Brown (Orthoflex) is alive and well in Nevada, MO selling
great neoprene covered breast collars and cruppers .  He now has local
dealers all over the country, most likely one near you.  I like all of his
stuff, except for his girths.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu Farm
1140 37th St.