Re: TM salt blocks

That old saw has been going around for years and it's really a mountain
out of a molehill.  TM salt doesn't supply a truly significant quantity
of any of the trace minerals, only the macrominerals sodium and
chloride, which is what you want.  The requirements between ruminants
and horses are not so vastly different than supplying a TM block is
going to cause any problems---although I presonally recommend supplying
loose, just plain salt, as their tongues don't get sore continually
licking a block and the primary minerals you want are just the Na and
Cl.

However, there are some mineral blocks out there specifically for cattle
that horses should not have access to---some mineral licks contain
substances that are beneficial to ruminants but toxic to horses.  The
same goes for some types of cattle feeds.  But throwing out a regular
old red TM salt block for the horses isn't anything to worry about.

Susan G