Re: Banned substances

In a message dated 98-10-27 11:30:09 EST, jlong@mti.net writes:

<< Sorry, but IMO you are misinterpreting the sentence.  Electrolytes are
 natural substances that all horses ingest and contain in their body,
 they cannot live without them.  Using electrolytes during a ride is
 just replenishing part of what is depleted.  Banning electrolytes
 under that statement would be comparable to not allowing horses to eat
 or drink during a ride. >>

Joe is absolutely right about this.  Given a choice, most horses would freely
consume electrolytes along with feed and water.  In fact, that is what I do
with mine--I don't "give" electrolytes, I offer them.  There is a tremendous
difference between individual horses in how much they lose and their ability
to regain them from feed sources, hence some need (and will frequently freely
consume) much more than others.

Heidi