Re: Proper nourishment

Kathy, a lot depends on the quality of the pasture your mare is getting,
and also on what the composition is of the pellets she's currently
supplemented with.  Are they primarily alfalfa with some grain added, or
are they mostly grain?  How many pounds is in a "scoop"?  Are you sure
she's getting her fair share, and isn't getting chased away by
established members of the herd, or are the horses put into stalls to be
fed?  Is the pasture green, or is it just dried up brown stuff?  Is the
pasture irrigated or maintained in any way, or do the horses just eat
whatever happens to grow?

Without knowing a little more, my guess is that she deficient primarily
in energy.  80-90% of the food a horse eats on a daily basis is utilized
for energy production in one way or another, so if she seems lackluster
and tires quickly, she's probably just not getting enough. Does she just
seem to be lacking energy, or is she also losing weight?  Or have you
not been there long enough to notice a difference yet?

If you can give me more specific details, I can make some specific
suggestions.

In the meantime, the first thing you absolutely need to do is provide
her with free-choice TM salt.  If this means putting out a block that
everyone else licks at as well, so be it.

Talk to ya soon (and welcome to ridecamp),

Susan Garlinghouse, MS
Equine Research Center
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona