Re: NW rides and landowner protections

Duncan, thank you so much for your copies of the WA and OR codes.    As I
replied to Lynge, I knew there were  many other states that have such
protective codes but I did not have numbers nor texts of law.
    I am not familiar with WA state's "attractive nuisance code"
mentioned in 4.24.210(3).
    I also note, in OR code 105.655 (4), that horse riding or animal
riding is not specifically mentioned.  Pity.
    I think that for all its simplicity the CA Civil Code 846 is better;
it focuses on the most essential issues and is for the private landowner
only.  There are various other CA  codes that apply to governmental
and/or public agencies, and they start with GC 831.4 et seq.   They cover
roughly the same ground as CC 846.   Also, CC 1009 has some bearing on
public use and rights.  If any Ridecampers want the whole text of CC846 I
can email it privately (it's short).
      Of special interest (I think) is AB 2291, signed into law in 1997,
that adds reimbursement of attorney's fees and court costs to the long
list of liability protections afforded CA landowners who work with
non-profits and gov. agencies to allow public access.  As  you know, even
the winners have to pay lawyer fees (;-(
     I am printing out your email for my files, and I am going to forward
your email to other equestrian political activists like myself who seem
to be always on the defensive when it comes to equestrian rights
nowadays, alas.
    Thank you so VERY much for sending this along...Cheers (;-), Connie
Berto

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]