Re: Sponging Clinic

In a message dated 98-10-17 22:45:07 EDT, rides2far@juno.com writes:

FIRST RULE of using the sponge efficiently.  Once you start, carry it in
 your hand.  If you put it away, you'll spend all your time trying to get
 to it and the string will be knotted, etc.  By the time you see water,
 you've already trotted by it, gotta be prepared.  A horse that does leg
 yields is good for getting close enough to the mudhole at a trot.FIRST RULE
of using the sponge efficiently.  Once you start, carry it in
 your hand.  If you put it away, you'll spend all your time trying to get
 to it and the string will be knotted, etc.  By the time you see water,
 you've already trotted by it, gotta be prepared.  A horse that does leg
 yields is good for getting close enough to the mudhole at a trot.**

We will have to be REAL fast too - the standing water doesn't last long around
here.

** NEXT RULE:  Get the sponge wet before you get on the horse in the
 morning. It's gotta be wet or it won't sink & soak up water.  The muddier
 you get a new sponge the better.  They're much better after they're broke
 in...they get a little weight to them.**

I can just see myself  getting my sponge wet, rolling it around in the dirt,
wetting it again - my horse looking at me like "you won't get that filthy
thing next to me!"

**READY TO THROW?  I'm assuming your horse has already been introduced to
sponging at a standstill, so, you're trotting by a puddle.  You throw
your sponge at it hard, your horse trots past so the sponge naturally
swings behind you, let it complete that swing to the rear, then swing it
all the way back out in front.  As it hits the farthest point forward,
give your wrist a flip, like a yo yo and snap it back to your hand
quickly...sponge horse, be ready for the next puddle.**

Think I had better duck so as to get some water on my horse - but I like this
technique -

**  I don't recommend throwing to the left until you're really good at the
 right.  I don't throw to the left at all on 100's (unless desperate)
 because there's a good chance you may sit on the sponge and wet tights
 are the pits on a 100.**

 I will have to practise as we don't get too many puddles around here anyway
so  if I spot a dent in the ground with some water & it is on my left - I
guess I stand about as much of a chance on that side as I do on my right.  I
will worry about doing 100 miler in about 5 yrs or so -

**If you're crossing a river, practice throwing it straight down**

I will be following it into said river for a swim -

** If the water
 is deep, your string will feel too long to do it very well though.**

Then chances are I am not in AZ  but will still be impressed & go for a swim -

** I don't recommend sponging on the fly for the first 12 miles if you're
 new to it.  A runaway and a sponge wrapped through your reins are no fun.**

I doubt I would encounter any water in the first 12 miles, but you're right I
would not enjoy a runaway horse with sponge attached.  Seeing water in the
first 12 miles might be cause to pause & admire -

Anyway, thanks for the info - still something fun to work on water or no
water.  Might come in handy for snagging cholla or something.

Lori, Sky & Packy
AZ