Trailering Problems

I have several comments regarding the recent problems & suggested
solutions! When using sawdust/shavings consider the airflow of your
trailer. In an open sided trailer (like a stock trailer) your horse may
end up wearing a layer of this stuff. If it's in their mane & on their
back, they have had it up their nose & in their eyes, too. We believe
this is one reason horses face the rear when given a choice.(To keep
some wind out of their face, not just shavings)
We use a thin layer of kitty litter (dust free) on rubber mats.
The first thing to check if a horse suddenly fights the trailer is the
floor. I had a horse that suddenly became difficult to load, but I
persisted. One night I saw sparks under the trailer, I was dragging a
metal support. Two were completely gone. Even though the floor looked
okay, it wasn't feeling solid to the horse.
When repairing rusted out sections where the wall joins the frame,
remember that it's the wall that gives the trailer strength. It's better
to have a new section welded in. If using rivets, check them often as
they will work & break.
Another problem for a horse caught in city traffic can be the build up
of exhaust fumes in the trailer. Make sure the exhaust from your vehicle
comes out the side, not the rear.

Nancy Mitts