Summary of riding with Diabetes

Someone has asked me to publish the responses I've received regarding my
husband who has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes and how it might
affect him in riding Endurance.  I received several good responses and
have printed them all off for him.  Some of the suggestions are:

Eat a high protein diet (Atkins, or Eades).  He is on Eades.

Don't forget to eat.  He used to get involved in a project in the barn
and wouldn't break for lunch.  Now he will eat regularly.

Do not ride alone.

Let your riding partner know of your condition in case anything happens.

Use electrolyte mixes with lower carbohydrates.

Wear a fishing vest with lots of pockets to carry nuts, dried fruit

Follow doctor's orders re diet and exercise.  Drink lots of water.

Carry hard candy.  No Gu or concentrated sport's bars.

Eat well before, during and after the ride.

We are encouraged and I'm sure he will do a 50 on his next ride.  Thank
you all for the great responses.

Amber