Re: ANTIBIOTICS AND GUT FLORA??????

Our gelding was turned out for about 2 years, mostly because we didn't
have time to do anything with him. We just started riding him right out
of the pasture, and I think he is just doing trail riding, no special
stuff. He was a passive stresser horse. No outward signs, just would
colic on us.
I never bothered getting him scoped, but the symptoms only would show up
when something was happening at the barn. IE, One morning we were getting
ready to take my stallion to the track, and he colicked so we couldn't
go. He had a pattern of this. Pepto Bismol always cured it, too, which
was another tip off. He never seemed to have a problem with any feed, no
matter how much of whatever we gave him (worked him up slowly however).
Anyway, if  your horse acts colicky I would not just not call the vet. I
would still call the vet, but if seems to be a repeating pattern (he
probably did this about 10 times that I know of ) and he's been dewormed,
teeth done, and has no real reason to do this... then I would seriously
consider getting him scoped.
Gwen Dluehosh DVM
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 15:45:58 EDT RBrad89122@aol.com writes:
>Gwen,  Thank you very much for the information you gave me on
>RIDECAMP
>archieves.  I was wondering how long you turned your TB out to pasture
>and how
>slowly you had to bring him back or was he alright after he was turned
>out to
>pasture?  Please respond to the RIDECAMP archieves because I am
>working off my
>bosses computer while he is out of town and I do not mess with his
>EMail.
>
>Thanks again for your information.
>
>Sheri Thompson

Desert Storm Arabians                      "Pretty enough to show, tough
enough to ride!"
www.beachbum.com/arabians         Specializing in high percentage Crabbet
and
PO Box 52                                         performance horses.
Wedgefield, SC 29168
803/494-2007