Re: AERC rules and radios

Actually banning HRMs may not be enough.... Here's an e-mail I got
from planet Ohnophonesarus on the subject.

On our planet everything is fair. All information devices are banned.
There are no watches and all riders are blind folded. This is so that
they can't see any celestial objects, since these all give time cues,
which may in turn be used to adjust the pace of the tub-slugs
(translation - a tub-slug is an Ohnophonesarus equivalent of a horse).
This also stops the riders from seeing other riders and using them to
help set their pace. Riders also wear aural gloves (translation - they
have two ear stalks with 8 ears on each stalk - the better to hear an
octave with - hence the need for 8 fingered aural gloves to block out
sound) so that they will not inadvertently pickup any information from
bystanders who might be discussing the ride.

Bridles, bits, spurs and whips are used to adjust pace and thus are
banned also. To ensure complete fairness all riders have their
tentacles and digits amputated and stored in a sealed bag, so that
they cannot unduly influence the pace of their tub-slug. If they need
their limbs in an emergency they could open the sealed bags with their
beaks but this disqualifies them from the event.

It is my understanding that the Old Round Ones (translation - Rules
Committee) will ban information altogether next turn.

> If such communication by radio is a violation of 6k, then so is such
> communication by other means, such as meeting the rider at points
> along the trail outside of vet checks.  The radio does not change
> that.  If communication between rider and crew outside of designated
> points is to be outlawed then it should be universal.  If it is the
> use of a high-tech device that is objectionable, then why not outlaw
> heart monitors?  They give the rider who uses them more information
> that can be used to adjust their pace, too.
>
> --
>
> Joe Long
> jlong@mti.net
> Business Page  http://www.mti.net