popped a curb?

Hi,
     I have heard this of this before too and am interested in what everyone
knows about it.  Is it only on the hind legs? Can it be on the front legs?  I
have a young gelding that popped what looks like a splint on the side of his
front knee (but just a little lower).  No heat, or soreness it happened after
a arena workout where he decided he'd be better off a rodeo bucking horse
until we discussed it a little further.  Thanks!