Re: more 2 way radio

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 01:01:50 EDT, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

>I don't know of any case that has gone to AERC, but I do know of at least one
>very blatant case at a prominent ride that left the riders grumbling, and if
>the actions were to be repeated as blatantly in the future, I think there
>might well be a protest from at least a few of the riders that have now had a
>chance to think it over.

Yes, it was discussed at some length here on ridecamp a while back.

There's a saying that good cases make bad law.  IMO the AERC has in
the past over-reacted to a minor incident by expanding the rulebook.

It is not uncommon for rides to have a major part of their trail along
dirt roads -- and sometimes crews follow their rider along these roads
(the crew being in a pickup truck).  Especially at night on 100 mile
rides, lighting the way for them.  If we ban radios, then to be
consistent we must ban this practice too, as well as any contact
between riders and crews outside of vet checks.  Then the matter of
enforcement becomes a problem.

I'll say again, no matter how much information or encouragement a
rider is given, the rider and horse still must have the "stuff" or
they're not going to succeed.  Coaching (a more appropriate term for
what you're talking about than prompting) by radio is IMO a
non-problem that a few people seem to have a bee in their bonnet
about.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net