re: 2way radios and cell phones

From: guest@endurance.net
Email: guest@endurance.net

As far as I know radio communication between a competitor and anyone else is not allowed on an FEI ride. However, this does not mean the device can not be carried by the competitor. It must be sealed by an FEI official and used for emergency. You would of course be disqualified once you chose to use it.

I could not fine such a rule on the AERC web site. I am not aware of a rule barring the use of such a device at an AERC or IAHA event.

As for the radio itself, I assume you are referring to the FRS (family radio service) type units which are half a watt and transmit about one mile reliably. I recommend the ICOM 4008A units (about 99.00 each if bought by the pair www.hamradio.com). These units have been known to go 6 miles if the conditions are right (altitude etc..) but 1 to 1.5 miles is the real use limit. No license is required unless you opt for the higher power units which are 2 watts and operate on the same frequencies. Headsets are available for these and work great, the only factor is the talk key on the radio is no longer used instead you press a lapel button connected to the headset which is more convenient anyhow.
Headset should cost 25.00.

Someone else will have to answer the AERC legal question, hopefully they will quote the source of the rule when doing so instead of just making the statement.