Re: Fw: ANTIBIOTICS AND GUT FLORA?????

Hi Linda,

I'm replying publicly to the whole list just in case anyone else is
following the thread.

Your Bone Heal product sounds interesting, I have heard of similar
suspensions that help, I assume in a similar manner.  I've been
instructed to give Maalox along with bute in the past to a horse that
was suspected of having gastric ulcers.  Maybe they work the same way,
I'd be interested in hearing more from your end.

I'm a little confused though about your comment:

>       I have been told that it is not the natural stomache acids that cause
> ulcers,
> and that some of the meds actually do more harm than good, as they strip
> the gut of its protective acids in an effort to heal the ulcers.  You all are
> very well informed on most of these subjects, so you are certainly entitled
> to disagree, but my info. comes from the chemist who helps put together
> our formulas.

My understanding is that the stomach lining is protected by mucus
secreted from the stomach wall, which creates a barrier between the
acid, primarily hydrochloric acid that would cause or irritate ulcers.
Was this just a typo? :-)  Anyway, I really don't know much about
gastric ulcers but am interested in learning more, including about your
products. (You can email me privately if you like).

Your probiotic supplements sound good also, and I think would be an
excellent supplement in horses that are having to reestablish an entire
gut flora population.  However, I still have my preferences in
supplementing as well with other species besides the lactic-acid
producing species such as L. acidophilus and L. bifidus.  My primary
reason is in horses that have a microbial imbalance due specifically to
a grain overload are going to already have a "bloom" of the
lactobacillus species, and a die-off of the yeast, protozoal and other
non-lactic-acid producing species.  Since this in turn can have an
effect of endotoxin release and potentially laminitis, I like
supplementing those "other" specieis along with the lactobacillus spp.
But, anyway, that's just my own preference---as a lactobacillus
supplement, your product sounds very good, and I'd be interested in
hearing more.

Thanks for the post!

Susan G

avpinc@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Susan and Sheri,
>      We have had some extremely good feedback on one of our products,
> Bone Heal, in the treatment of ulcers in horses.  It is a liquid based calcium
> product which helps coat the stomache and relieves the digestive discomfort
> thus increasing appetite and ultimately also helping with weight loss.  We
> developed this product to help heal fractures and splints (and it works very
> well in that, it's original purpose) but my trainer had several horses who were
> suffering from ulcers and we decided to try this.  She now uses it by the gallon
> and is very happy with this new use of the remedy.
>      We also recently developed our own version of the "acidophilus" powder
> that has been mentioned.  It is considerably more concentrated and very cost
> effective.  Our product requires tsp. doses, rather than T and is in a finer base
> which dissolves very easily for mixing with food or water.  We have had some
> very good reports on our Anidophilus It contains Lactobacilus Acidophilus
> as well as Lact. Bifidus.
 If you would like any more information on these products,