Too Much Hay??

Hi everyone

We got the two horses home that I posted about
last week in the post "rescuing horses" they were
not too thin, so we put them in a dry stall with lots
of hay and fresh water. When we picked them up
they were standing knee-deep in manure and they
did not have any hay and there was no hay feeder.
The only thing in the barn was a stack of straw. So
anything they were feed had to be put on top of the
manure they were standing in. Maybe the straw?

Well my question is last night they were standing
hunched up like they had belly aches. We had
given them a little grain while they were still in the
trailer to hold them still while I reached through
the side of the trailer and tried to brush the manure
off of their bodies and comb out the tangles in
their manes.

Could the belly aches been from the possible
switch from straw to hay? Is it all right to feed
them a little grain? I have never had to deal
with horses that were not in good health before.
These horses are Pinto- Paint crosses. One is
5/8 Arab and the other is 75% Arab. They are
going to the vet and I am trying to get a good
farrier to meet us at the vets on Tuesday. I
would hate to see them colic before we get
them to the vets. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Lynette