Re: Trails Symposium

<<  at least let the
 care-takers of OUR forests know what we want and how we feel about using
 OUR forests. >>

I have spoken to several of the NFS planners re: the Ocala NF.( the management
plan is currently being reviewed.)  I have been told they wish to  delete
cross-country travel and limit trails which can be used, for horses and all
others.  The forest is currently accessed from anywhere one can drive a
hunting vehicle off the road and I understand NFS' overall desires.  However
the official marked horse trails are 40, 40 , & 20 miles and do not even begin
to address 3/4 of the forest land ( or experience).  Due to the fact, that the
20 mile trail is the shortest it is the one used the most. (Recreational
riders not endurance training riders) Also, it is a clearly marked trail (due
to the efforts of the local equestrian group).  There are plenty of trails
thanks to the off-road vehicles, however the many equestrians not famliar with
the forest will not just go off on their own, hence the major damage done to a
few trails.  This causes NFS to conclude that equestrains are overusing the
trails, they were not on the trail the day I came around the corner and darn
near ate the handlebars of a motorcylce for lunch!!  We are all stewards of
the land, we are all entitled to the enjoyment of the public lands, and
balance will be a delicate issue.

Thanks for letting me sound-off as I will be inable to attend the Symposium
but fel Vickie, Betsy, Helen, Teddy, and the many others going will guard our
interest well.  May the Trail Gods be with you....
Jackie Baker
Florida