Re: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #812

Sorry folks - managed to hit the send key totally by accident, so here's the
rest of Manzanita.................

on him, and off we went again.  There were three of us at this point, but all
going roughly the same speed though this 8 mile loop.  Coming back in to the
last p&r and 5 minute hold, I asked Ceders to walk in right behind the two
horses in front of me.  He walks so slow that we walked the first 50 yards and
then jigged the second 50 as he tried to catch up.  Result was a heartrate up
instead of down when we came in.  those two riders left the hold about a
minute ahead of me.  Ceders tried to catch them for the first mile, then they
disappeared out of sight around a curve.  Every last bit of energy left his
little body.  We are alone, with four miles to go, and I got off and walked
because its easier to drag him down the road than it is to beat on his sides.
For 2 miles I dragged, then the trail turned toward basecamp.  New horse!
Mom, Mom, home is this way. Are we going home now mom?  Trotted in the last
two miles like he hadn't just done 48. We're done in 10 hours and part of it
we even did all by our lonesomes.  I'm very proud of Ceders as he has come a
long way in the 2 years we have been doing this.  Looking forward to next
year.

Terry Woolley put on a yummy supper and a great awards ceremony, however, by
then the wind chill was so high I was just numb.  Didn't think I would need
the ski gear in the desert on the first of October.  When am I gonna learn to
just pack for every contingency <grin>.  Sunday morning, horses look like they
have been doing a walk in the park.  We load up and go home.  End of the year
for us.  What a great note to go out on.

Alison Farrin
San Diego, CA