Re: AERC Bylaws Change Vote

Although I agree wholeheartedly with Randy Eiland in hoping that the
membership turns down the proposed bylaws change which would in essence make
anthing 49 miles and lower an LD ride, I hope Randy does not prevail in
getting verbiage added to the rules eliminating shorter rides held in
conjunction with sanctioned rides.  Yes, there are those who run "24's" to
flaunt the rules, but they are getting fewer and fewer.  What has been on the
rise has been the trend toward excellently-run "pre-novice" rides of 10 or 15
miles, which have NO BUSINESS even being considered as LD's, but which give
pleasure and trail riders an opportunity to come and see how an endurance ride
looks and feels.  As I started off on my second loop of the Santiam Cascade 50
this year, I overheard a comment from one of the trail riders that really
summed it all up for me--I met two women coming into camp at the end of their
15-miler, and one was telling the other, "Gee, if THAT is all that 15 miles
is, NEXT time we could do the 30-miler!"  From such small beginnings...  The
ride managers who go to the trouble to host these pre-novice rides are doing
some excellent PR for our sport, and sowing seeds of interest where they might
not otherwise have been sown.  They deserve our thanks and support, not a rule
change disallowing the good work that they do.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)