Outlaw Trail - My first Multi-Day (long)

My sister (Stephanie Palmer) and I went down the Outlaw trail ride for the last two days of the ride.  This was our first attempt at a Multi-day so we picked the supposed easier days and went for it.  We caught up with Sharon and Crockett and the others at the Widstoe camp about 14 miles from Bryce just in time to watch some of the last riders come in.   At the ride meeting we were handed 3 pages of maps on 8 ½ X 11 with pictures and miles noted.  Looked pretty scary at first but I quickly got the hang of it and now think that it's the way to go :).

The ride starts out at a controlled walk for about the first three miles so it was a great warm up for the horses and also riders.  Steph and I quickly discovered that not all riders that have already ridden 3 days and were starting day 4 were friendly to newcomers - especially ones with fresh horses <vbg>.  It seemed that as we walked out on the single track trail and tried to move around to talk to people we knew we managed to come between two people that were riding together and they were quick to let us know that we were in the way.  Steph and I ride together a lot so we just passed some knowing glances to each other and finally found a place out of everyone's way.  I personally think that the other horses had an advantage over our horses that didn't know there was another day to this ride, since the other horses were already in the groove - Just a thought.

I thought the footing was great and the views spectacular, the first three days were pretty gorgeous from what everyone was saying.  We had a cow problem on day 4.  Some cows mowed over a fence in front of us and took off down the canyon with us - talk about running with the bulls!  Steph's horse was very unimpressed with the cows - guess she's never run any cattle in her day!  In the canyon there was also a rather low hanging tree limb that a lady hit.  She was in front of us a ways and we saw the remains of her helmet visor and later in camp her scraped up face and black and blue eyes.  What a trooper she completed day 4 and rode again on day 5 - that's endurance for you!  Crockett was going to remove the limb for next year which made even me feel better in case I go back and forget where it is!

We completed day 4 in the middle of the pack and found my husband had moved camp and found us a nice spot.  Our camp was about 2.5 miles from a little town called Cannonville.   He managed to only get lost on the way to the vet check, but he was with several other crews so he wasn't lost alone ;).  The vet cleared us to go again for day 5.  I tried to break the news to my horse, Bak, that he was doing great and that we were going again the next day, but I don't think he could hear me above all the hay chewing.

The morning of day 5 the look on Bak's face was priceless as I pulled out the saddle again and tacked him up.  His eyes were all wrinkled  up and worried as if to explain to me that this is when we get in the trailer to go home.   I was a little worried about myself riding another day, as I swung a leg over I felt a little sore and stiff.  After we warmed up, controlled walk again, I felt better.  Bak was quiet but strong that morning almost like he was taking special care to pay attention since this was new for him.  Day 5 was a gorgeous trail in the bottom of a riverbed with huge sheer light colored sandstone walls.  We didn't have a map for this day - new trail.  Crockett had drawn it for us on a whiteboard and I took as many notes as possible.  Crockett said when the sandstone turned pink there would be a left turn and sure enough it did.  A lot of Crockett's instructions were like that - you know after devil's elbow turn right, etc.  We had some lively discussions on the trails as to what exactly a devil's elbow looked like :0.  It was great and we didn't get lost at all so it worked.  After the vet check (by the way thanks Sharon's mom for the great sandwiches) we traveled through some sand - which Bak loves to boogie in and then down some slickrock.  Bak had a tough time with the slickrock, he slid down some of it and scraped his back leg a bit - smelt really bad!  Then we joined back up to the riverbed and sandstone again, just beautiful.  The trail was a little more rocky on day 5 with the riverbed and since we hadn't padded our horses we took it easy and and finished toward the back.  The horses vetted through great, a little tired, mostly hungry.  Dinner was a big buffet.  The awards were done for each day, etc.  18 same horse/same riders had completed the entire 5 days.  I'd like to be one of those someday.  Sharon and Crockett were really friendly and we felt very welcome even though we had joined up late.

This ride is a must for us next year.  Quite a few people complimented me and Steph on doing two days to get a feel for it.  If you have never tried a Multi-day I would recommend this method.  The next day when we loaded up for home I felt great, better than when I had only done 1 day.  Other than being stiff from sitting in the truck on the way home I was fine :).

I don't want to bring up the 25 vs 50 miler argument but I did 25s for a long time because I was too scared to do more.  Steph has done 50s for a long time - since she was a junior - and she told me that after a certain amount of pain you just don't feel anything anymore.  That was not a real motivator for me maybe it works for someone else!  I broke down at the end of last year and did my first 50 at one of the easier rides.  The vet checks were all at base camp and I figured if I had to pull at least I would be at camp.  This was a little hard for Bak to understand - why did he have to keep leaving the trailer.  I finished last (just under time) but was so completely proud.  I was also exhausted, mentally and physically.  My riding partner got pulled after 17 miles and me and Bak continued on alone.  It's hard to push a horse when you're alone and depressed and not sure if either of you can do it.  I hurt for 10 days, walking, sitting, every position hurt.  I started this year doing 50s and haven't looked back.  Yes, it is a big step the first time, but I glad I did it.  Completing a "mini" multi-day was something I never dreamed I do, it sounded so big and tough.  Mostly it was just a load of fun and the step from one day to two days is small compared to the step from 25 to 50 miles.  So for those of you that have never tried a multi-day I highly recommend it.  I hope to be able to do more in the future.  After turning Bak out in the pasture and watch him TROT around to say hi to everyone and show off I had to think to myself that he sure doesn't look like he's spent 13 hours in the trailer and been ridden 100 miles over the last 4 days.  Maybe now we're both ready for more.  I hope that Steph Teeter will have some time to write about her experience at the Outlaw trail, sounds like she enjoyed it too!

Valerie Newson and Bakdom
Stephanie Palmer and Steppin' Softly
No. Salt Lake, Utah