ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Size & murmurs (was New Thread)

Re: Size & murmurs (was New Thread)

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 01:41:14 -0500

SandyDSA wrote:
> Anyone out there ever compete a horse or even OWN a
> horse with a heart murmur? What do you do with them, how much do you ride and
> do you ever compete them?

The reason for the murmur needs to be determined - can be a flow murmur
(benign), or something more serious (valve damage, septal defects,
etc.) I wouldn't work a horse who had a murmur until it was well
evaluated. (Pleasure ride, yes, work- no.)

> Next question - What size horse do you prefer to ride.

I'm 5'5" and enjoy the 14.3 - 15.1 hand horse for much the same reasons
as you do. Where I often ride, there can be quite a lot of up & down to
open gates and lots of low tree limbs to duck under- a tall horse is a
pain! That being said, my current Arab gelding is 16H!! (I said I
wanted a short bay or chestnut Arab - I found a 16H grey Arab gelding.
Go figure!)

> I LOVE the 14.2 to 15 hand horses. <SNIP> SLGHTLY cheaper to feed.

My previous mare was barely 14.2 and was an extremely hard keeper. I
easily paid twice as much to keep her at an acceptable weight as I do
with my current gelding ("Did you say food? - my favorite!!") I have a
hard time keeping weight OFF of him during the summer when the grass
comes in!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV