ridecamp@endurance.net: my .02 on easyboots

my .02 on easyboots

Chris Paus (paus@micoks.net)
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 20:47:36 -0600

Just had to let you all know an incident that happened with me and easy
boots. A year ago on News Years Day, I was preparing to ride a horse I'd
had 3 months, a wacky Appy gelding. I had ridden him in easy boots because
I don't' like to keep shoes on horses all winter and we have gravel roads
to ride on here.

Anyway, he seemed to take to the easy boots ok. Didn't mind them. One day,
I was riding him across the small pasture to work out the kinks, before we
joined up with a buddy. Anyway, we were about three strides into our ride,
when before I knew it, he bucked once, twice, and I went flying, landing
hard on my butt on the frozen ground. He took off and we played chase the
horse for an hour. When I caught him, I noticed he had only one easy boot
on front. The other one was in the field just about where the bucking began.

I think one boot must have come loose somehow and freaked him out sending
him in to his spaz attack. He liked to buck anyway, and this offered him
agreat opportunity.

NOw I have a much more reliable horse (Chief was sold to a rodeo string,
where he REFUSED ) to buck. The easyboots fit star, but I have been leery
of using them now. I put them on one day and then took them off, chickening
out after my last experience.

I think I will put them on him and let him wear them around the pasture one
day before we strike out on a ride.

that's all. I'm not condemning or praising easyboots, just offering an
anectdote.

chris paus &stat