ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: new orthoflex

Re: new orthoflex

David Bennett (benamil@juno.com)
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:30:54 EST

Hi John - I have used an O-F with the 'new system' and now have one with
the old. The new has more flexibility built in because the mounts put
some space between the tree and the panels and have a joint that moves
freely in all directions. It probably works best for a horse that has a
low back or some other feature that requires the panels to 'adjust' a lot
as the horse moves. For a horse with a pretty level topline and moderate
back length, like my two, the old system works very well and probably
works best. I don't know if O-F offers new saddles with the old panel
system or not - but for a lot of horses the old may be better!

One thing that my local O-F sales rep told me is that new saddles are not
being furnished with booties. Instead, they have a "riding cloth and
wool numnah". The problem of hair rubbing that some have seen is
caused, I think, by the synthetic fleece on the booties that are fixed to
the panels that, by design, move with the horse. I use a Woolback Toklat
pad and the panels move against it instead of the horse's back. That
seemed to eliminate that problem. So, I highly recommend a real wool
fleece pad like the Toklat.

Hope this helps.

Dave Bennett
Chickamauga, Georgia