ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: truck question

Re: truck question

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 06:15:14 -0800

David Bennett wrote:

> John - I know quite a few people who routinely and safely pull a
> gooseneck with a 3/4 ton truck. I pull my 2H gooseneck with one of my
> two 3/4 ton Ford diesels (rated for 8800 lb load). The tires are 10-ply> rated (something less than 10 plies in reality) and extremely durable. I> guess anything can blow out but it is unlikely that would happen with> these tires. In my opinion a 1 ton truck is not justified unless the> load of the trailer requires it. A blowout in any case is not a good> thing but I would not buy a dually just for that.
>
> What happens if a front tire blows when towing any kind of trailer?
>
> Dave Bennett
> Chickamauga, Georgia
>
> On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:02:33 -500 "John & Sue Greenall"
> <greenall@vermontel.com> writes:
> >One more question about trucks. Does one really need a duelly to
> >handle a small goosneck? Why not just a straight one ton? My 3/4
> >ton straight body seemed to handle the trailer just fine but I was
> >told that a blow out with a gooseneck is worse than with a tag-along?
> >John and Sue Greenall
> >mailto:greenall@vermontel.com

I pull a 3HS GN with a Dodge 1500 5.9 L engine and don't have difficulty
with the hills around the southeast. I've never pulled to the Carolinas
but I've been to the GA mountains and it's done great even fully loaded
for a ride. Never had a blowout and I don't want to think about what
could happen.

Susan