ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: What should treatment Vets be paid?

Re: What should treatment Vets be paid?

Kathy Myers (kathy@nvolve.com)
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 08:55:54 -0800

Teddy writes:
>By the way, I heard that at a ride recently, a rider whose horse was in
>trouble refused treatment because she wanted completion and that the vet gave
>the completion then treated her horse. As far as I know, AERC had considered
>some ruling on this, but I don't think they made it official.

Why would the AERC have allowed completion? What happened?
Can you clarify?

rider cannot obtain a completion by refusing recommended vet treatment.

Then I got more confused when Ramey wrote:
>As for your rule question, one may not refuse vet treatment if
>recommended by the vet in order to receive a completion.

... but now I think I get it. Ramey, you are not saying that a
rider can *get* a completion by accepting recommened vet treatment,
but instead are referring to rule 6.2.1.7... which states a rider
cannot obtain a completion by refusing reccommended vet treatment
prior to final exam.

To quote the Rule Book:

"6 Completion requires meeting all of the following criteria:"

[a-k 6.1 --> 6.2.1.5, and 6.3 can be found in the Rule Book]

"6.2.1.6 Evaluation of other monitoring parameters must indicate the
equine is not in need of any medical treatment. It must be borne in
mind that pulse, respiration and soundness are but three of the
important parameters considered in the state of condition evaluation."

"6.2.1.7 The equine may not have received medical treatment by
veterinarian or layman prior to the final examination. Any equine
that a ride veterinarian advises should be treated for a metabolic
or soundness problem, but treatment is refused by the rider or owner,
shall be considered in the same light as a treated equine and will
be disallowed completion."

It appears to me that under rule 6.2.1.6, an equine requiring vet
treatment to make completion criteria does not recieve a completion.
And from what I can tell 6.2.1.7 is there to let the rider know
that they cannot recieve a completion by refusing recommended
treatment.

Just clarifying... specifics might be more enlightening here.

:) - kat myers
in San Mateo (No.) Ca with Magnum the TB ex-racer