ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Ivers last comment on Carbos, etc

Re: Ivers last comment on Carbos, etc

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 16:25:44 -0800

>Tom wrote:
>Well, it's two separate problems. You want as much glycogen stored away in
>the muscle cells and liver as possible (glycogen loading) but you also need
>incoming carbs at the beginning and throughout the ride. My suggestion would
>be 1 lb of grain for each hour out from the start. For example if the start
>is 9:00 AM and you feed at 7:00, then 2 lbs of grain would be a good start.
>At 3 hours out, 3 lbs of grain. 1 hour out, 1 lb of grain. And then grain
>maybe every two hours during the ride.

Just out of curiosity....how many of you out there could get your horse to
eat this much grain? Let's be honest!!

Judging by how many dumped out mixed up grain/bran mashes I saw at the last
ride...I'd say that most horses (like mine) aren't that interested in
eating grain during the ride. A few bites maybe....

Any ideas on how we might get them a bit more interested?

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Weaver...1025 miles :-)