Re: carbs, protein,people and horses

Shoafy@aol.com
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:21:46 -0500 (EST)

<< Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:05:57 -0600
From: "Daniel E. Hofford" <dhofford@pacbell.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Endurance horses and eating

To everyone who has had a question about how to feed a horse or what to
feed a horse I would like to direct your attention to a book concerned
with human nutrition. The book is Enter the Zone by Barry Sears, Ph.D.
He's a research biochemist who studied the effects of protein,
carbohydrate and fat intake on hormone levels specifically and health in
general.

What he found out has some interesting parallels to what people talk
about with their horses. Not that human and horse nutrition are
isomorphic but there is so much that is interesting between the two that
I thought some might enjoy the book.

He found that:
1. Americans consume far too many carbohydrates in proportion to the
amount of fat and protein they eat. We also consume far too much food
for our activity level, period. Obesity is on the rise.
2. Most of the fat we consume is of the wrong type.
3. One should eat no more protein than is necessary to maintain lean
body mass at a particular activity level and this is easily calculable.
4. A body that uses fat for most of its energy needs is far more
efficient, bio-chemically, than one that uses carbohydrates and much
healthier.
5. You must go no more than five hours without eating.
6. And much more but thats why he wrote a book.

I'm 5'11 and weighed 196 when I read the book. I have weighed 172 for
the last year and half and all my blood work has moved in the right
di >>

Hi Dan and other campers,

It is amazing that all this has come up right at the time my husband's Dr.
has asked him to read and follow the guidelines laid out in a book called
"Protein Power" by the Eades. They quote "The Zone" you mentioned (Ihaven't
read it ...yet) and appear to follow the same philosophy..or rather
physiology. Adequate protein, moderate fat and low carbs. Now, being a
vegetarian (an ever-expanding one and a tired one too) this all flies in the
face of what I have been practicing for years. But I am willing to change due
to the above reasons. Not eat meat but I will increase dairy and tofu. I have
been thinking of these implications in terms of the equine, knowing that a
herbivore and an omnivore are going to be different in some respects. My
question to all out there who may know....how may these priciples apply to
the equine? I have figured that it is advantageous to restrict carbs in the
hours preceding a ride as it seems the presence of insulin dominance puts the
system in a storage mode where fats and proteins will increase the presence
of glucogan and thereby put the system in a mode conducive to the metabolism
of fats. This what i understand as I read along in some confusion and doubt.
But there appear to be many (that I know personally too) testimonials that
this type of diet increases energy but it is also recommended for weight
loss...something that my mare definately doesn't need! I am thinking out loud
to ridecamp and probably not making much sense so if anyone can help
enlighten me, please do. I think this is something other campers will want to
know too.

Donna in Altoona >>