Re: Dried Yeast

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:59:22 -0800

Budler, Cindy wrote:

The feed contains a live dried yeast which according
> to the nutritionist aids digestion(also contains the fat etc) . I
> specifically asked if I should be adding probiotics(after all the latest
> posts) and was told it is not neccessary as long as I am giving good
> quality grass, electrolytes when needed and this food - unless I have a
> specific problem like having to put weight on or in a horse recovering
> from stress , neglect etc. What do you all think???

Well, I guess I'm confused, because yeast IS a probiotic. There are
multiple species of "bugs" that aid in digestion, yeasts are some of
them, different types of assorted bacteria others. No offense to
anyone, and maybe there was some miscommunication or misunderstanding
somewhere along the line, but personally, I think I might tend to be a
bit wary of nutritional advice coming from a nutritionist that didn't
know that yeast WAS a probiotic. I also think that maximal digestive
efficiency comes from providing more than one type or species of
microbe---different species digest different feeds. If you wanted to
improve the overall efficiency of an entire company, would you improve
the efficiency of just one type of employee, or would you increase the
efficiency of every type of worker there?

As far as probiotics being unnecessary unless you want to add weight or
when the horse is stressed...one, my horses don't need to gain weight,
but I sure like the idea of being able to feed LESS and maintain weight
through using probiotics. Two, there is alot more to nutrition than
maintaining weight---probiotics also affect mineral absorption in all
horses, and milk composition in lactating mares (higher butterfat).
Pretty good benefits that have little or nothing to do with maintaining
weight (except for the foal getting the extra butterfat).

Three, who's to say when a horse is "under stress"? Obvious causes like
an endurance race, illness, or a long trailer ride are easy to identify,
but there are minor deviations in day-to-day routine that can still
affect the microbial population of the gut and thereby affect digestive
efficiency. An odd meal of grain that they're not used to, an upset
tummy due to something you are totally unaware of, a mare going through
estrus, a stallion watching estrus and not being able to do anything
about it---there are lots of gray shades of "stress".

Fourth, maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I admit I take grave
exception to handing out advice as "just feed grass hay, electrolytes
and this yeast and they'll be fine." The absolute, number one rule of
equine nutrition is EVERY HORSE IS AN INDIVIDUAL. What is okay for one
horse is not okay for another, which is why you NEVER see me posting
advice about "two pounds of this and three pounds of that is the Perfect
Diet for everyone". It just doesn't work that way and anyone who's ever
taken even a introductory class in equine nutrition has had that
drummed into their head ad infinitum. I also take exception to the
generic phrase "good quality grass hay". There are many species of
plant that come under this heading and while some supply balanced
nutrition, others do NOT.

Sorry, I don't want to insult anyone and I hope this is just someone's
misunderstanding. However, feeding yeast is a new, hot thing in horse
nutrition, and there are alot of people citing research and attributing
benefits of yeast when the yeast that was studied was an entirely
different strain than the one they're touting, etc. If someone is
giving you advice on equine nutrition, ask for their credentials (and
anyone is always welcome to ask for mine). Ask if they have a formal
degree, have published research, attend the scientific meetings or at
least keep up with the journals. Ask if they know what the initials
ENPS, JAS or ICEEP stand for (Equine Nutrition and Physiology Society,
Journal of Animal Science, International Conference of Equine Exercise
Physiology). If they don't know instantly what those abbreviations
mean, they simply could NOT be trained nutritionists or physiologists.
I don't mean to sound high-and-mighty, but I admit it is a pet peeve of
mine (and other academia) to have to work very, very hard for years to
learn about things the right way, while there ARE people out there who
claim to be therapists, consultants and nutritionists by simply printing
up a business card and having read a book or two. This may very well not
be the case here, but personally, I would be a little suspicious,
because so far, it just doesn't sound quite right.

> Another question on grass before a ride. I was told that I should cut
> down on grass prior to a ride - 8 hours before - as not too much bulk is
> wanted in the stomache during the ride... Any comments????

Personally, I would disagree with this also. Yes, it is true that hay
in the gut adds bulk during the ride. However, as I posted yesterday,
feed takes several days to move through the gut completely and limiting
hay for 8 hours is not going to lighten the weight of gut contents all
that much. What it WILL do is partially shut down the endocrine system
(also explained yesterday) that keeps the gut moving and avoids colic.
It will also deprive the horse of the additional reservoir of water and
electrolytes that would otherwise be waiting in the gut---horses will
drink several kgs of water for every kg of dry matter ingested and
depriving him of hay means there's that much less water he's likely to
drink and have available as peripheral tissues require it. IMHO, you
shouldn't feed any soluble carbohydrates (like grain) for 6 hours before
a ride, but you should NEVER limit hay before, during or after a ride
unless the vet specifically tells you to. Maintaining good gut motility
is far, FAR more important than a small amount of additional bulk in the
gut---and if you want to relieve your horse of some weight during the
ride, the best way to do so is to get off his back and walk for awhile!

Okay, off my soapbox.

Susan Garlinghouse